Monday, July 12, 2010

The Decision

Shifting gears from the social scene to the academic schedule, we just recently finished up a week-long session of career development where critical skills like interviewing, job searching, networking and dinner table etiquette were hammered home...very important things that I was receptive to learning all about...but I just couldn't help myself from daydreaming during the afternoons about that glorious moment at some point in the near future when I finally decide which of the 10 different 6 figure job offers (dream sequence) is the best for me (they all swear the job market will be ready for us): Should I announce the decision in a more traditional way by making a phone call to both the winner and losers of the McEvily Sweepstakes.... orrrrrrrr, should I announce the decision quietly through this blog and let the scores of followers (employers included) find out all at the same time (call it the Kevin Durant style) orrrrrr, better yet, should I call up CNBC, request to have a 1 hr special a week from now, sell out to a bunch of sponsors, let the entire world fixate on me and only me for a couple of days, pretend like the decision really hasn't been made, take a bunch of bullsh*t questions from Jim (Cramer of course; I'm not lame enough to sit down with Grey), before finally announcing to the world (and my parents for the first time) that I've decided to pursue a career in subprime lending on the other side of the country (Sorry Mom, I'll fully expect you to write a seething letter about your son's bloated ego and sense of entitlement).....hmmmm, Durant or Lebron?....Tarantula or King James?....this is tough....what to do....

Shoot! Back to reality...the career coach with the microphone in hand now circling the room cold calls on me, "So Brian, how about you? What do you think your biggest strengths and weaknesses are and how do you expect to convince a hiring manager in an interview that you are the only candidate for the job?"...uhhh....well....I guess I'm pretty good at...uhh...Hey, have I told you about my blog?

Here's hoping for tough decisions in the next 6 months...

No comments:

Post a Comment